How should I store potatoes?
- Store potatoes in a cool, humid (but not wet) dark place with good ventilation.
- Don't refrigerate them - doing so converts some of the potato's starch to sugar.
- Don't wash potatoes before storing; it speeds up development of decay.
- Don't expose potatoes to direct sunlight, which turns them green and makes them bitter.
- Scrape around sprouts or green spots.
Why do potatoes grow sprouts?
Sprouts are a sign that the potato is trying to grow. Cut the sprouts away before cooking or eating the potato. Sprouts do not hurt the potato. To reduce sprouting, store potatoes in a cool, dark location that is well ventilated.
- 1 pound potatoes yields 2-1/2 cups diced
- 1 pound potatoes yields 2 cups mashed
- 1 pound potatoes yields 3 cups sliced
- 1 pound potatoes yields 2 cups french fries
Can leftover potatoes be frozen?
While cooked potatoes can be frozen, they tend to become watery upon reheating. The potato is 80% water; and when frozen, this water separates from the starch and nutrients causing the reheated potato dish to be watery.
I'm allergic to onions. Are there any substitutes?
Yes! Try shallots. Many people who are allergic to onions have no allergic response to shallots. These types of onions are great substitutes and have a garlic taste - perfect for any meal.
What is the best way to store onions?
- Store in a cool, dry and well-ventilated area.
- For sweeter onions, wrap them in paper towels and store them in your fridge to help them stay fresh even longer!
- 1 large onion yields approx. 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium onion yields approx. 3/4 cup chopped onion
What is the best way to chop an onion?
- Peel onions after they have been halved lengthwise and the top has been trimmed off.
- Freezing an onion for about 20 min. before cutting will help reduce eye-tearing.
- Trim off the root or bottom end last as it is believed that most tear-causing compounds are stored in the root end of the onion.
- To slice an onion, place the peeled, onion-half, cut-side down, and cut crosswise into half moons as thin as you like.
What should you eat to get rid of onion breath?